Friday, February 13, 2009

Guinea Pig History X

Hello, readers

While researching guinea pigs, I was surprised to learn that they did not evolve naturally. This Wikipedia page explains the process much more eloquently.

Also on the mentioned page is a photo of a cat and its guinea pig friends. Has anyone ever done any inter-species experimentation? I've read various (many grisly and unsuccessful) accounts of guinea pigs being paired with rabbits, mice and hamsters. I'm not sure about cats, though. Some friends of ours are looking to re-home their cat because of health reasons. Although I'm worried that the introduction of a cat would be very stressful for Flora, apparently I may be incorrect. Any thoughts? Even insight into living with cats and dogs would be appreciated.

Yours truly



Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I am still amazed that Guinea Pigs are a common food source in South America. I suppose this should not shock me considering that dogs are still eaten in some countries, but I have a hard time picturing the furry (and sometimes furless) creatures I see running around the pet store cages with the barbequed carcass that is displayed on that wikipedia page.

    ReplyDelete